Wednesday

Textuality, Editors, and Text

After this weeks readings for "Digital Poetics" I'm a bit listless; one one hand, I agree with the focus on the materiality of the text (Benn Michaels' to an absurdist extent, McGann to an understandable degree based upon his responsibilities as an editor of collections); on the other, only McGann draws a line to what extent the materiality 'matters.' Benn Michaels' attacks on ethno-racialized Other, in this introduction are irritating; however, as I've not read the book and do not know the extent of his arguments, I am reluctant to attend to critique; however, a light critique might be possible: 'The Valve" does a wonderful job of pointing out the ethical dilemma Benn Michaels' theoretic falls into when faced with itself. Eric Rasumussen points out the fundamental difference between Zizek and Benn Michaels' reactions to academic multiculturalism. My issue, and this requires further reading of Benn Michaels, is with how I am understanding his relation of class and culture. The argument that neoliberal capital structures invite the creation of ethnic minority subject positions because it aides in the evasion of class distinction is a slippery. Considering the foundation of capitalism in the US is founded historically and, in the field of agriculture, contemporaneously on the ethnic minority subject how does one dismiss one as the evasive creation of the other?

3 comments:

Lacy said...

Regarding race and class: Omi and Winant, _Racial Formation in the United States_

First section of the book addresses ethnicity, class and nation as they are used to elide the issue of race. Perhaps helpful. Perhaps not.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I think the list inform should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.